Monday, July 19, 2010

Hi-fi fabuous!

Got this swank little vintage Bradford stereo console off of craigslist this weekend from the sweetest couple:
It belonged to one of the girls' grandmothers who bought it new in 1963. It was purchased from a W.T. Grants store which was a discount department store back in the day - I remember there was one in my hometown back east. The brand name is 'Bradford' which was the company name for their electronics. It's a great size, only 43x28x12, so it's fairly compact but still considered a console. I spent about 2 hours detailing it and it looks great. All tubes in this console so it has a cool, mellow sound. And I love how it takes a good 30 seconds to 'warm up' - man does that bring back memories! It is complete and fully functional [turntable is being a little fussy, tho]- more than I can say about the high-end consoles I had been looking at for $100s more. I purchased this one for $60. It obviously was well taken care of. It may have been from the low end of the retail spectrum but it's still plugging along...


Now, have a listen below and on YouTube:

No comments:

Post a Comment